INDIAN STYLE FISH CURRY WITH MANGO
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Serves 4 People
King fish – 500 gms (cut in steaks)
Raw mango – 1/2 mango cut into slices(If you use small sized mangoes use the whole mango)
Shallots – 1 cup cut into thin slices
Tomatoes – 3 pureed
Garlic cloves – 10 nos
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
Red chilie powder – 3 tbspn(adjust as per your spice requirement)
Coriander powder – 1 tbspn
Tumeric powder – 1/2 tspn
Salt – to taste
Oil – 3 tbspn + 2 tbspn to shallow fry the fish
Water – as required
Corinader leaves – for garnish
Salt and turmeric extra for washing the fish.
1. Clean and wash fish pieces. Add 1/4 tspn of turmeric and 1 tspn salt and marinate the fish for 15 minutes.
2. Add 1 tbspn of oil on a tawa and shallow fry the fish. Do not fry the fish fully. Fry them just for 3 minutes on each side. Remove the fish pieces onto a kitchen towel.
3. Heat 3 tbspn of oil in a deep bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
4. Next add sliced shallots, garlic ,curry leaves and saute until onions turns soft.
5. Add tomato puree, cook until oil separates from the side of the pan and tomatoes are fully cooked.
6. Make a paste of red chilie powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt with few tspns of water. Add this paste into the onion tomato gravy. Cook for 3-4 minutes
7. Add water and bring it to boil. Now add shallow fried fish pieces and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
8. Once fish get cooked completely add mango pieces and cook for 5 minutes more. Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off flame.
9. Serve it hot with steamed rice! It’s simple delicious. The aroma of this curry is simply awesome. Your tasty, tangy, flavourful Manga Meen Kuzhambu tastes best with plain steamed rice.
1. Use mango as per the tartness in the mango. Some varieties has more tart and some less. And if you like more tangy curry use more mango than mentioned.
2. Some use tamarind along with raw mangoes, I liked it with just raw mangoes. If you like to add tamarind you can use it along with mangoes.